Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Justice
The Bonanza Creek (BNZ) Long-Term Ecological Research (LTER) Program is committed to fostering an inclusive environment where all members feel valued and inspired to contribute to the program’s success. We believe that a diverse and inclusive program leads to greater innovation and is essential to our excellence in science and its broader impacts. We value diversity of thought and respect all persons regardless of ability, age, ethnicity, gender expression and identity, language, marital or caretaker status, nationality, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and socioeconomic status. We recognize that this list is not exhaustive.
In order to create a program where all members cooperate and collaborate to advance understanding of the Alaskan boreal forest, we are committed to upholding the following principles:
- We strive toward a work environment that is free from bullying, discrimination, harassment, and prejudice.
- We acknowledge, respect, and appreciate individual differences and encourage the free expression of ideas.
- We believe in providing opportunities for everyone to grow as individuals and to participate in our community.
- We recognize that access to science and scientific research is not equitable in our society and strive to provide full inclusion of all, including those from different cultural, ethnic, religious, and economic groups.
- We openly welcome those with disabilities and encourage dialogue on how to make the BNZ LTER more accessible to all.
- We give credence to the process of knowledge co-production and strive to generate meaningful results that address the specific needs of Alaska Natives and rural communities in Interior Alaska.
This statement was developed through active engagement of participants in the BNZ LTER program. It is a statement of how we view our role at the University of Alaska Fairbanks, across our partner institutions, and in the world. It guides how we act individually and as a group.
- BNZ Code of Conduct
- BNZ Land Acknowledgement
- LTER Network: Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Resources
- UAF TitleIX Resources